Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Zion

The next General Conference address that I would like to comment on is Elder Chistofferson's "Come to Zion," a thoughtful and intelligent sermon on how we can become what the Lord wants us to be. As a preface, since his call to the Twelve, Elder Christofferson has impressed me with his focus on basic Christian doctrine as understood through the lens of the Restoration, and he makes insightful points about our faith.

This talk was especially interesting to me in light of my speaking assignment this past Sunday. The topic was consecration, particularly in the context of our Stake Day of Consecration at the temple this Friday; we encourage all members of the stake to attend as many endowment, initiatory, sealing, and baptism sessions as possible, making sacrifices to spend as much time as possible in the temple.

I spoke of three ways in which we consecrate actions, things, or, ultimately, ourselves. The first is through the authority of the priesthood in an ordinance, as in the dedication of a temple or meetinghouse. The second is through sacrifice, as with the early Saints and the temples in Kirtland and Nauvoo, or with many today who sacrifice to attend distant temples or go on missions. Those sacrifices render those actions and those people holy.

The third means by which consecration occurs in when priesthood authority and sacrifice intersect, through covenant. We vow to give all we have and all we are to the Lord's work, and as we live this covenant--doing what Elder Christofferson calls for in living lives of holiness and caring for the poor and needy--we make our lives holy.

Summer and I have been talking about this a lot recently. How can we live the gospel more fully and make more meaningful sacrifices. We need to attend the temple more often, more regularly. We need to set a better example for our children. I need to focus more on teaching my sons to prepare for missionary work. I need to set a better example for Allyson of what a priesthood holder is so she will expect that in her life. I need to be more worthy of the amazing woman I am married to, appreciating more fully her work and sacrifices on behalf of our family, which she often does so quietly.

2 comments:

dastew said...

This isn't enough of a rant. It's actually thoughtful and touching. Where's your angst??

Roy said...

I know, the vitriol on this blog is slipping. It's hard to be angst-ridden when your candidate's in the lead. Maybe McCain should win, just so I can riled up about Palin...