Monday, October 13, 2008

Simplicity

My next General Conference report is on Elder Perry's message on simplicity. I listened to this on the way to work this morning and found it timely, both because of world events and my own recent thoughts on the need to simplify our lives. I also dig anything that refers to Walden.

(This was the only illicit book I took on my mission, and while I never read it while I wore the black name tag, I felt better about life just knowing it was nearby.)

I also liked how Elder Perry linked Thoreau's four necessities (food, clothing, shelter, fuel) to gospel principles. Understanding the link between the temporal and the spiritual is at the heart of welfare, which itself means not just well-being, but well-doing. If my needs are simple enough, I can meet those needs and be more able to help someone else. If, on the other hand, I am insatiable in my search for a bigger home, a nicer car, and more toys, I will never be in a place to do good for others.

On a related note, we have decided to keep xmas simple for our family this year (we were a bit extreme with gifts for the kids last year), and with FHE tonight I intend to present this idea to the kids in the context of being grateful for what we have and our responsibility to help others. We will then explain that they will each get only a few gifts and that we as a family will spend more time and energy doing things for others this year.

2 comments:

Christine Bushman said...

you can have the idea from our house. We get each of the boys what they need like socks, undies, a new shirt (something like that, but small). It is usaully 3 to 4 small things each. Then one BIG present for the whole family...like something we all can use and share. This has help both finanacally and stress levels.

We leave the other things for grandparents and other family members, too.

The boys are happy, and they don't miss the other presents/gifts either. And most important the parents are happy too!

ma turner said...

I am working very hard at present MAKING Christmas presents for the upcoming season. I have the time and I am enjoying the time spent thinking about the little ones--or the ones that are growing up too fast.