Thursday, October 2, 2008

Some Quick Thoughts on History

As with last week's presidential debate, I caught about half of tonight's debate, so I don't know if I missed any big stuff. What I saw was pretty smooth and unexciting. But one thing caught my attention.

At one point, after Biden had accused the current administration of fouling up national security, the economy, education, etc., Palin jumped in with a point that was very interesting. She claimed that the Democratic ticket focuses too heavily on the past, railing against Bush/Cheney instead of talking about the future. I caught myself nodding in agreement.

Then I thought about a piece I have my students read by David McCullough, who argues that as a nation, we are historically illiterate. He goes on to contend that not knowing history--failing to learn from the past--is not only foolish, but arrogant, a declaration that nothing matters but ourselves.

I see a gospel truth in this, that the most important things we do as Latter-Day Saints deal only obliquely with ourselves. We focus much of our attention (or, at least, we ought to) on the future via our children and posterity and the past through family history and temple work. I think much of the current financial mess comes from a lack of this sort of perspective, that wealth is not a result of our efforts alone, nor is it for us alone.

So I find Palin's (and McCain's, and Bush's, for that matter) unwillingness to reflect on the past and learn from--or even admit--mistakes in Iraq in particular to be very dangerous. If we cannot see where the past 8 years have gone wrong, we are all too likely to make the same mistakes--or greater ones--in Iran or Pakistan or North Korea. So I think this election must be about the past, not just the old "are you better off now than you were 8 years ago" question, but a deeper one of will we be a better people if we continue to follow the current administration's policies.

4 comments:

dastew said...

What gets me is the hypocrisy that she only criticized Obama/Biden about living in the past when it came to comparing McCain to Bush. She was more than willing to use the historic characterization of the dems as tax and spend liberals because "Gosh dernit" that's what liberals do.

dastew said...

Also there's this

Jon and Chelle said...

Jon and I must really not have lives because we watched that entire debate as well. I really like Biden. I did not like Palin's 'shout out!'. Also, I think that alot of Palin's jabs at Obama were misleading, or just plain false.

dastew said...

Oh and about your comments about the bailout bill, there was a guy on Marketplace who said it best I think: "The problem is that the profits [in the banking industry] are private but the risks are socialized." The average American is not diversified enough to allow a section of his/her portfolio to go belly up, but when banks do well, that American derives no benefit from the profits. I thought that was an interesting analysis.