Saturday, September 27, 2008

That’s Debatable

Just some quick thoughts on last night's debate. I watching ~half of the proceedings, so I welcome comments from those of you who saw the whole ordeal. Actually, this was the least terrible presidential debate I've seen in a while (ever?). No one looked awkward or uneven, and both candidates made a good case for themselves. In a lot of ways, this seems to validate a general sense of what political debates do today: reiterate talking points and energize a candidate's own supporters.

What interested me the most was the exchange over Iraq, which in my mind is the single most important issue, even more pressing than the current economic train wreck. Having opposed the war since it began (and earlier), I feel very strongly that the invasion of Iraq has been the greatest foreign policy mistake of my lifetime, and that the best option at this point is to change course. Even if this is a slight and gradual pullout, it needs to happen, and I'm convinced that a McCain presidency would not be able to accomplish that.

The comments regarding the surge were especially telling. McCain seems to believe that because violence has decreased since the escalation last year, a reduction in combat forces in Iraq will result in more violence. Here's how I see it. The war began without enough planning, thought, or resources. For several years, troops operated in insufficient numbers with an insufficient objective. Petraeus, who for all his faults is a thoughtful and intelligent military leader, was given the authority to make significant changes, not only with the number of forces, but also with the scope of the operations, and it made a difference.

But for McCain (or Bush) to say the surge worked and needs to continue is mistaken. The surge was a correction of a mistake made at the onset of a mistaken war. With violence down and order increasing--and with chaos on the upswing in Afghanistan--it is time to change the focus of the military efforts back to where they should have been all along.

None of this, however, is as important as this fact: Obama will represent a significant change in American foreign policy, from unilateral and impetuous engagement to thoughtful diplomacy and measured military action. McCain will continue the "Bush doctrine" (I love that phrase now); Obama will see it for what it is (fatally flawed) and replace it.

6 comments:

dastew said...

ROY DAVID TURNER! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE SO SEDITIOUS AS NOT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING SPOUTED FROM THAT GREAT FOUNT OF WISDOM THAT IS W.

Okay sorry I just couldn't resist. I'm going to post my own review of the debate as soon as I get my thoughts clear on the subject (and as soon as I finish cutting down one of the trees in the backyard). Here's to being a radical leftist! Hurray!

Chelle Ellsworth said...

I got a little confused because I thought that McCain wasn't going to debate unless there was a bailout deal made, so when I saw him on tv I thought that there was a deal made and I just didn't know it, but really there wasn't, and overall I was just really confused. I guess I need to watch the news 24/7 to keep up with all the changes.

pinky said...

There weren't any funny lines in the whole darn debate...nothing to snicker at in the least...I watched it all!

I am already squirming uncomfortably in anticipation of the VP debate this week. I know it is going to be perfectly horrible from beginning to end. The only thing that will make it tolerable at all is that I'll be watching it from the comfort of my bed at the motel in Moab. The psychological defense mechanism of dozing off may just kick in.

Piper Scott said...

Well, Mom, it may make for some pretty good SNL skits...

On to my comments about Roy's debatable debate review...

Roy you seem pretty sure that Obama is going to carry through with everything he espouses in his candidate speak. What do you have to back that up? Candidates lie all the time and I'm not naive enough to think Obama and McCain are above the temptation. Perhaps I'm being a little hard. Perhaps they don't knowingly lie about everything, just some of the time. The rest of it is hope that if all the stars align and everyone cooperates they will get what they want.

I'm convinced that debates don't really prove anything. I learned quickly after a few debates in the mission field that everyone goes away thinking they won but no real change occurs. I think both candidates held their own last night and both gave knowledgeable persuasive answers. I've got to tell you though that I don't think Obama is forceful enough. To me it makes him look unsure of himself.

Roy said...

Scott, I certainly don't expect any politician to carry through on all of his/her goals/promises. But it's the mindset of fixing the problem that matters, and I see McCain's view (and W's for that matter) as that of "what problem?"

Kristin said...

As for me, I was having a debate during the debates. My brother-in-law and I were sparring over the whole thing. He actually got pretty mean. I think it was threatening to him that I was going to vote for Obama, and mostly over the war. I too felt from the beginning that it was a bad idea. I see it as an aggresive action by our country and very wrong. I know there is no magic pill, but I believe Obama is the one working in the direction of getting us out. I am sick of our fair sons and daughters being murdered and innocent Iraqis being murdered all the while our government tries to make us think this is some noble patriotic cause! Yikes! Anyway, I ended up in tears that night because my brother-in-law was so mean. He did apologize a couple of days later, but it made me feel the only safe place I can spout my liberal ideas is here on "Roy Rants". So thanks Roy.