Saturday, September 20, 2008

Old is Just a State of Mind

No, this is not a dig at McCain. In fact, this rant isn't even political.

I've decided that Summer and I are the oldest people our age out there. Here's why.

  1. We recently subscribed to the local newspaper. I can't think of anyone under the age of 40 who gets a paper delivered to their home. Actually, I only know a few people who get the paper, and no one under the age of 50. Most people our age get all their news from the Internet. New-fangled contraption...
  2. We don't have cell phones. Do you know anyone who's not a) in prison, b) Amish, or c) over the age of 70 who doesn't have a cell phone? Summer's lobbying for one after her most recent trip (short version: she got bumped from her Seattle-to-SL-to-ABQ flight and went through Denver, getting in at 11 pm instead of 9. Had I a phone, she could have informed me.), but I'm being stubborn.
So, here's the challenge. Do you know anyone under the age of 40 who subscribes to a newspaper and does not have a cell phone? Betcha can't find anyone...

5 comments:

J. Peter said...

Two years ago I guess Alison and I were old. We would still like to get the paper but after dealing with too many inept paper carriers who can't manage to deliver it consistently, we've decided not to pay for the (lack of) service anymore. We would like to get it, but it's not worth paying for it 75% of the time, and not worth the hassle to get it here all of the time.

We got our one cell phone about 2 years ago, but we don't take it everywhere. Mostly we use it for long distance. Sometimes its nice to be unreachable. I love technology, and if I had more money I would have an iPhone (for the internet, more than the phone), but alas we're poor.

I guess we've gotten "younger" having ditched the newspaper and picked up a cell phone.

pinky said...

With older comes wiser...and a cell phone or two might be a very wise move...car breaking down on the freeway with a car full of kidlets would be one excellent reason to have one...just for starters. Not that I'm giving advice...just presenting a scenario.

Jon and Chelle said...

May I ask why you prefer the paper paper over reading it online? And, besides Jon's mother (who is older than 40), you are the only pepole I know without a cell phone.

Bill said...

Back about 9 years ago (when we were older I guess) we used to get the paper and didn't have cell phones. We actually got 3 subscriptions to the paper. But we used it only for the coupons. Tammie was able to get all kinds of great deals doubling coupons and compounding them with store deals. Unfortunately the stores no longer make it so easy and even give you a rotten look if you try to use more than 10 coupons. So, no more couponing. No more newspaper. And I've read news on the internet before I even see it come out in the paper.

It took us a while to get cell phones because of the cost. But then we had the opportunity to borrow one and suddenly we discovered the convenience and became hooked. I'm not sure how we even lived without one. We decided to just look for the cheapest deal we could find that would give us each our own phone and even that was too pricy for us but we did it anyway.

Unfortunately I realized that I used my phone much much less than Tammie and I was essentially wasting minutes each month. We eventually switched to prepaid that is working out much better. You don't get the free weekends or free mobile-to-mobile calls, but the monthly cost is much lower and I use every minute I pay for now. And we still each have our own phones. It's a much more affordable way to go if you don't need 1000 minutes per month.

Relaxed Cat said...

but . . . you do have a blog, and that my dear friend of stew & carolyn, is so very young and modern that it immediately takes you OUT of almost old.