Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My First Purely Partisan Piece! (Here, at Least...)

I've tried to make this blog pretty neutral so far, but it's time to pull out my bias. I'm voting for Obama (no big surprise, right?). What is surprising is how many other people are too. We are a traditionally conservative people, but a lot of members of the church are at least considering voting for the Democratic nominee. Some are doing this because they don't like McCain, either because he's not conservative enough (they call themselves "suicide voters," which is awfully macabre) or because of how the anti-Mormon mess of the GOP primary went down, or because of growing anti-Bush sentiments across the board. But here's my thinking.


To me, Obama represents a real chance to move beyond some of the most divisive issues of our day. Some see this as simply a reinvention of Clinton-style triangulation, but it seems to me that we have a sincere sense of rethinking the big issues, from government spending to abortion to foreign policy. This transcends simply opposing the Iraq war and speaks to a deeper desire to address the things that haunt this country. How do we cope with a history of racism? How do we best combat threats to national security? What is the relationship between government and individuals?

I also like the thoughtfulness embodied in what Obama is doing. When he speaks, I don't hear the sharp barbs of much contemporary political discourse, nor do I hear the lofty but empty rhetoric ascribed to Obama by both the right and some disaffected Hillary supporters. Instead I hear a level of intelligence that, to be blunt, has been decidedly absent from the executive branch (and I don't mean that simply as a jab at Bush; I feel that the entire administration has been defined by recklessness, from tax cuts to foreign policy). I happen to like my politicians smart; I like when they weigh issues and seek solutions.

This definitely seems to be missing from McCain. His maverick persona is fine, but he says and does too many reckless things to earn my trust. From the infamous "Bomb Iran" karaoke number to his stuporous look when asked to define "middle-class" to the erupting mess that is Palin, I get very nervous when I imagine someone of McCain's temperament with his finger on the button. The "experience" angle notwithstanding, I find McCain unnerving.

There's one last issue: my faith. I believe in the power that resides in all of us to change, and I believe that this message is at the core of the life I seek to lead. Mormonism itself is based on the doctrine that we can, through the grace of God, become better, but only by acknowledging the need to abandon what doesn't work and to then adopt what does work, to repent and change. And I believe this applies not only to individuals, but to families, communities, and nations. If a war is unjust, you end it. If economic disparity leaves millions poor while a few live in wasteful wealth, you seek reform. If a great nation is viewed by both its allies and enemies as reckless and short-sighted, you reconsider your vision of the world and your place in it. I don't expect that 20 January 2009 will be the end of these woes (I'm still jaded enough to be a bit cynical), but I believe that it can be a step in the right direction, and I believe that is worth my meager vote.

Along those lines, I recently found a piece that, while several months old, is compelling, and captures many of my own thoughts about the junior Senator from Illinois.

11 comments:

pinky said...

This is my first chance at the computer since the weekend away with your spouse...I'm with you 100% on this. It's a bit of a turn-around for me to say so, but I'm impressed with Obama's thoughtful responses to things, rather than the old and worn out knee-jerk Democratic response. Glad you had the desire to speak out about this. I can envision him as a great leader in the future, given the chance.

Bill said...

It's Obama for me too. I see him as a uniter. Something this country needs right now.

Jon and Chelle said...

Thanks for the site! I'm always looking for ways to make my coworkers disgruntled with me =)

dastew said...

Agreed whole heartedly. From a religious perspective I think that the excesses of Mormon capitalism (as defined by check cashing fraud, Melleluca, and all the get rich quick schemes does more to damage individual faith than a gay couple getting married ever would. But I'm a radical left-winger.

Here's a fund link: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=184086

April Fossen said...

Holy cow! What will we argue about at family gatherings if everyone votes for the same candidate I vote for?!

Roy said...

Stew, well said. I'm gearing up for my same-sex marriage post.
April, I feel the same way. It's like bizarro-Catherall...

Piper Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Piper Scott said...

Don't worry, April...
I'll continue to wear my conservative hat at family gatherings and still love all of you. I will register more kids than any of you young liberals to vote with me. And I will be out with others in force this weekend to fight for the CA Marriage Initiative.

Roy said...

Scott, thank you. I was beginning to doubt my own reality. And oh yes, the CA marriage issue. I may spend all weekend on that posting...

spcatherall said...

This is a really really tough choice, this Presidential election, not because the candidates are both so good, but because they're both so #$@%ing awful! I'm forced to figure out which will take our foreign policy in the least ridiculous direction and be the least sucking magnet for terror and mayhem! I've got to figure out who's going to be the least laughable figurehead on the economy and domestic affairs! Decisions, decisions.

Kristin said...

Hey, I just discovered your blogs, I don't know where I have been. I loved your first partisan piece. Well said! If I were articulate that is surely what I would have said. Keep writing-maybe we can vote for you someday.