Saturday, September 13, 2008

On Job & Other Interviews

Last year I had an interview at my current place of employment for an administrative position for which I was woefully underqualified. When I got a question about my experience administering budgets, I replied, “I don’t really have any.” It was kind of a relief, and the rest of the interview was quite relaxed, as everyone in the room knew I was not the right person for the job and wouldn’t be getting it. And I think they appreciated my honesty.

Having served on several hiring teams and being on the interviewer side of the table, I believe that frankness and directness in answering questions like that one are invaluable. I loathe the applicant who tries to fake an answer and insults my intelligence in the process. It is better, I think, to say honestly, “I don’t know” than to try to fake it.

I say this because my first thought after watching part of Palin’s interview on Thursday night was, “Wow, she’s immensely underqualified and she thinks she can bluff her way out of it.” The repetition of non-answers, the constant use of her talking points with no elaboration, the stalling tactics (how many times did she say, “You see, Charlie”?)—it was all painful to watch. It was like the worst job interview performance ever. I just hope the American people are as good at hiring as that interview team a year ago was, because I could do a better job as Associate Dean than she could as vice president. And I have no budget experience…

2 comments:

pinky said...

I felt during the entire interview that she was very tense and uptight. It was particularly telling when Gibson asked, "Do you agree with the 'Bush Doctrine'?"

"In what respect, Charlie?" Palin asked. When she said that she sounded genuinely ticked in my estimation. There seemed to be an undercurrent of desperation on her part, which she was trying to mask with a 'show' of strength and firmness while trying to seem savvy. I actually had an uncomfortable knot in my stomach throughout the interview, due to her obvious discomfort while muddling around for responses.

Jon and Chelle said...

I just got around to watching that interview and I had to laugh. I think it is a little different in her case though, because she was chosen to be VP, she didn't apply and who says no to a presidential canidate when they come knocking on your door asking you to be VP? In the end, it makes me question McCain, not so much Pallin. Honestly, I'm not as concerned about the VP picks, while I understand that there is a chance that they'd be president, but I can't remember the last time I heard anything about Cheney, well except for when he's shooting people.