Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President-Elect Barack Obama

Just a few thoughts from last night. First, I don't think I appreciated the historical significance of what might happen until it happened. I'm part of a generation that is removed from the turmoil and intensity of the Civil Rights movement; the race issues of my formative years had more to do with OJ Simpson than Martin Luther King Jr. But seeing people--black and white--my parents' age and and my grandparents' age shed tears of joy over something that not long ago was literally impossible brought it all home. I am immensely proud of the progress we as a nation have made over a few generations.

I was also touched by Senator McCain's concession speech. His first mention of Senator Obama was met with a round of boos, which he silenced with the most eloquent speech I have ever heard from him. His love of country is something to be proud of, and the dignity of his words meant a lot to me.

I didn't stay up for the President-Elect's victory speech, but I caught bits of it on the TV and radio this morning, and what I first thought in 2004 after his DNC speech rings true again today--this is a man who can inspire, a man whose words make me want to be a better person. Few politicians can do this, and he does it consistently.

My next few entries will address my hopes and fears for the next 4 years, but for today, I will simply reflect on what this momentous event says about this great nation.

6 comments:

Carma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carma said...

I did watch both - the concession speech by Senator McCain and President-Elect Obama's speech. And much like you, I didn't really grasp what an historical moment it was until last night. Both speeches give me hope. I am one who didn't give Obama my vote, but he has my support. He quoted President Lincoln a lot...both sons of Illinois and one quite literally paved the path for the other. I hope you get a chance to watch/hear the whole speech. It as good!

dastew said...

It was a good speech, though I thought he should get over the "Yes We Can" chant.

His reference to the arc of history was one of the better rhetorical flourishes in that it engages every voter into an unfolding tale of American potential. It's this feeling of America as a narrative, an agent which under the hand of Providence is moving toward a better tomorrow. (This is something that Mormonism teaches quite often.) At the same time you don't get the feeling from the text that he views himself as the culmination of this narrative. He is just another step along the way to a better tomorrow.

That said I agree with you on McCain's speech. It was forceful, polite, and statesmanlike. If he ran his entire election with that tone (and had chosen a less crazy running mate) I'd almost be tempted to vote for him.

Jon and Chelle said...

Siss told me that Utah was called for Obama and I got really excited that maybe I really can live here a little bit longer...and then she told me she meant to say McCain. BUMMER. I think it would be fun to live in a swing state, but I don't think I want to live in Pennsylvania again, so maybe Colorado? Are there any warm swing states (it's snowing here as I type)...

Roy said...

Chelle, there's always NM...

pinky said...

I myself believe that President-Elect Obama's speech will go down as one of the great ones. I look forward to many more of the same with matching verve in the 'get something done' department (hopefully). I'll bet you could find his speech in its entirety on the internet somewhere - or on CSPAN.