Monday, November 3, 2008

Is It Still Election Eve If You've Already Voted?

Two quick thoughts for today:
  • I did some surfing around blogs by family and friends today and found several intelligent entries in defense of Proposition 8 in CA. I expected to read blog posts about the issue, given the demographic of the people to whom I am related and with whom I interact. but I was pleasantly surprised with how considered and considerate their thoughts were, and how well they were expressed. Having blogged--poorly, I believe--on the topic a while ago, and having some sense of the vitriol that must characterize this sort of debate in a place so polarized as the Golden State, I have come to expect the vicious name-calling that is floating around. So to read opinions by people I love and respect was nice. And after some soul-searching, I think I would vote for the Proposition, while acknowledging that it is far from a panacea for social ills. But sometimes you do something you don't like because, ultimately, it's the right thing to do.
  • One last observation on the presidential race. The thing that has stood out in my mind over the past few days is the difference in how the two campaigns have been run. McCain's is messy, undisciplined, and marked by extremism. It's a campaign of chaos and passion. Obama's is efficient, inspiring, and organized, with a sense of purpose that transcends policy without neglecting it. It's a campaign of effectiveness and innovation. All of this makes me think that, if a campaign is an indicator of leadership, the choice here is pretty clear.
Let's hope tomorrow goes well, and that the results of the elections, local and national, lead to greater equity, opportunity, and peace, both individually and collectively.

1 comment:

pinky said...

Very well put! I voted a couple of weeks ago and am anxious/excited to see what tomorrow brings. Someone said it is like waiting for Christmas this time around. Hopefully we'll get the desired results without any counting dilemma and it would be nice if we got them early in the evening. I have no desire to lose sleep over this.