Monday, January 10, 2011

Activation Efforts

As a follow-up to my earlier post about my 2011 personal goals, I wanted to explore the third resolution in more detail. At ward council this week, our Relief Society president referred to section 5.3 in Handbook 2, which discusses activation efforts.

In this section we have a reference to 3 Nephi 18:32, where the Savior commands the people of His church to accept sinners among them, ministering to them with faith that they may accept the truth of the gospel message.

As we work with a huge ward with immense numbers of inactive, estranged, and incompletely converted members, this commands rings true, and it is a powerful final message from the Relief Society president who, shortly after the meeting, was released from her calling of over five years.

But even more powerful than the idea of continuing to minister is the promise. We may be the means of bringing salvation through this faithful persistence. It's true of temple work; perhaps many of those for whom we do proxy work will not accept the gospel, but those who do will love us for acting in their behalf. Children sealed to us may turn from the gospel, but our love can in the end help them find their way back.

As so, as I seek to minister with more power and more love, this verse speaks volumes to me. I must not shrink just because I don't see results. My getting-things-done mentality needs to cede to a longer-term view of conversion. And I need to minister more fully, more completely.