Monday, July 26, 2010

A Pleasant Passage from the Old Testament

Today we're going to take a quick break from our exegesis of Moroni 10 to focus on three verse from the Old Testament. As with much of my scripture study, this comes from a passage I must have marked years ago, the context for which I no longer recall. But thumbing through, I read these words from chapter 6 of Numbers: “The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.”

I am touched by the words of this blessing, and find in them a sense of how I ought to interact with my wife and children and friends. To the people I love I should wish this kind of joy, that the Lord might be gracious to them. And in these words I find what I myself desire, that God will smile on me and give me peace.

3 comments:

dastew said...

I can't read those without starting to sing songs from Fiddler on the Roof. My poor deafened co-workers.

Roy said...

That's why I had it marked! I was in Fiddler in 11th grade. I have, by the way, banned musical theater from my life due to the overdose from ages 15-17.

dastew said...

there are so many inappropriate jokes I could insert here. I'll forgo however.