Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"I Know Their Faith"

For the past several days I have been working on an entry related to my recent study of Moroni chapter 10, but while that is in process, here's something I noted as we read 2 Nephi chapter 3 last night with the kids. In this chapter, Lehi is talking to his son Joseph, and he soon begins recounting some of the prophecies made by Joseph in Egypt. These range over many eras of human history and include discussions of Moses, the family of Lehi, and Joseph Smith (interesting side conversation as we read: Summer asked if Joseph Smith realized as he was translating that the seer referred to in these verses was him, and, if so, what he thought of all that.).

But for me verse 19 is the most poignant. In discussing the latter-day restoration and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, the Lord connects these promises to the covenants referred to early in the chapter. It is in the fulfilling of those covenants that we see God'smercy—even though mankind had repeatedly rejected the truth, fallen into apostasy, and wallowed in ignorance and lies, the covenants that God had made with ancient prophets were enough to make a restoration of the truth a sure thing.

And here's the kicker, at the end of verse 19: “I know their faith.” In English we use the verb “to know” in a lot of different ways (especially in the KJV of the Bible...), so the depth of this verse might be lost at first. But in many Romance languages, there are in fact two verbs for “to know,” one that applies to facts, and one that applies to people; it's the difference between knowing where the grocery store is and knowing your closest friends.

In this sense, God knows our faith as He knows us—fully, intimately, personally. Omniscience is less about seeing everything than it is about knowing each person, a fact that is possible because we are truly God's children. Just as I know my own children well enough to anticipate their behavior, the Lord knows each of us well enough to be familiar with our level of faith, our testimony, and our commitment to the covenants of the Lord.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Good Stuff Roy...

Your insight reminds me of when I learned Portuguese and had to learn the difference between “to know” vs. “to know!” …yeah, exactly. As you say… “facts” vs. “people.” Having learned this many years ago has also enhanced my scripture study along similar lines, but in reverse.

Instead of God “knowing” us or our faith, it has to do with our “knowing” God. John 17:3 says, “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” I picked up on John’s use of the word “know” in this verse one day (…disregarding, of course, any possible translation issues) and followed it throughout the topical guide to every possible reference of “know, knew, known, knowing, etc. Of course, all the early patriarchs “knew” their wives (…a discussion for a another day). But, from what I have found so far, the best references of the use of “to know” in this way are in the books by the apostle John and the D&C. So now, as a result my study, the question that I ask myself daily is how much and/or how well do I “know” God?

This question based on this and other verses utilizing “to know” with the same intent, has rapidly become my guide in most of what I do now in my life. Of course, the main way to “know” Him is scripture study …what He says, thinks, and does. As a result, all doctrine has become more meaningful. All decisions have become more principle based. All spiritual desire is centered on achieving Life Eternal by trying to be more like Him, or “knowing” Him, and …seeing his face and “knowing” that he is (D&C 93:1) and/or …being still and “knowing” He is God (D&C 101:16).

Clay

Roy said...

Thanks for the thoughts. The link to John is especially insightful. but, Clay, you're looking kind of girly these days, if I may say so...