Sunday, August 31, 2008

Me and My Veeps

It’s interesting how the past two weeks have made the presidential race intriguing, especially in terms of who the candidates have tapped as running mates. This has got to be one of the most bizarre decisions one would ever make, as a candidate is choosing not only a good potential vice-president (and maybe even president, right?), but also someone who can help make a campaign successful. Traditionally regional implications came into play, but since Clinton/Gore in ’92, this seems to have gone by the wayside. But energizing the base or attracting swing voters or covering a weakness at the top of the ticket can be a big deal, and I think we’re seeing that this year.

So, here’s my take. In the lead-up to Obama naming his #2, I was afraid he would choose Biden, who always seemed a bit phony and stilted; maybe I just disapprove of old men with slicked-back hair. I hoped for Richardson, but the way he’s let himself go after dropping out of the presidential race (what a terrible beard!) probably did him in. Hillary seemed logical, but the baggage she would bring was too much of a risk. I kind of hoped for a black horse candidate, but I sincerely hoped it wouldn’t be Biden.

I’ve since warmed up (a bit) to ole Joe, especially after hearing parts of his speech at the DNC. He’s more down-to-earth than I expected, and I like that he takes the train (I love trains…). But I’m still not crazy about how such a DC insider fits with the Change idea, and Biden may be too much of a Senate institution. (I’ve got a second theory about parties nominating the elder statesman from the Senate for President, ala Bob Dole and John Kerry; the short version is “bad news for McCain.”) Ultimately, he’s probably a safe pick, and I guess I was trained to think of Obama as eschewing the safe route.

Palin, on the other hand, is anything but safe. She may energize the evangelical base (but I still see a lot of those voters staying home because they don’t see McCain as one of them; this may not hurt him much on the red states, but it may make a difference in tight congressional races there), but I doubt how well she can attract the Hillary voters. I’ve read some stuff about Hillary supporters who wept for joy on Friday morning and will take any woman on the ticket, but I don’t see that being widespread enough to make a difference. Maybe I’m being naïve…

Here’s what I find interesting about the Palin choice. She seems to represent a new generation of conservative, religiously-oriented, post-feminist women politicians who skew right; think of W winning a majority of married women voters. I don’t know what this means, but Roe v. Wade seems to factor very little into these voters’ minds, and I think it’s fascinating.

4 comments:

dastew said...

Palin is a joke who will/is getting crucified. She was a reactionary choice because McCain didn't have the cajones to stand up to his constituents and pick Lieberman who he really wanted to choose. The result is that instead of having the first cross party ticket in generations the GOP is stuck with a woman who's less qualified to lead the free world than Dan Quayle!

Roy said...

But, Stew, how do you really feel? I agree that she lacks expereince, but my fear is that in the debates Biden will overstep and come off as a jerk. Or the campaign/bloggers will do that. Will the PUMAs vote for the ovaries? Will the evangelicals be put off by her pregnant teen daughter? So many questions...

Roy said...

BTW, I just read a piece on McCain's risky pick of Palin: http://www.slate.com/id/2199058/.

Jon and Chelle said...

"Will the Pumas vote for the ovaries?"--Dave you got me laughing, really laughing!
I've given it some time, tried to really look into it and think about it, and I've concluded that I don't care for Pallin. I haven't done the same for Biden really, but at least he takes the train...