Monday, April 25, 2011

Enos 1:18

I decided to read the book of Enos this morning, but I only got to verse 12, where I lingered a while:

"And it came to pass that after I had prayed and labored with all diligence, the Lord said unto me: I will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith."

This reminded of the address Elder Oaks gave at the most recent General Conference, as well as the thesis statement of the Book of Mormon. But there are several key components to this verse. The combination of prayer and work strikes me as being crucial. Likewise, the blending of desire and faith marks an important synergy. We have to want something, have faith in God's promises, and then act on that desire.

1 comment:

Wife of dastew said...

I was thinking along similar lines recently while reading the "What desirest thou?" section of the BOM. In some aspects my desires are not where they need to be and I realized that I can ask for help in changing my desires so I will be more willing to work for those righteous desires once my desires are righteous. Enos is some of my favorite scripture for similar reasons to those you blogged. Thanks for sharing.