Wednesday, August 11, 2010

2 Nephi 9, Part I

For the past few days, our family scripture study has had us working our way through 2 Nephi chapter 9, one of the fundamental passages of our theology, and I have been impressed by several points as I have read. In particular, Jacob's treatment of the atonement is both impressive and profound.

But before continuing on to explore Jacob's discussion of the infinite atonement that restores us through the resurrection (and if you think I'm going to connect verses 10 and 11 to 1 Nephi 1:20, well, then you know me pretty well...), I would like to touch on someting I mentioned at the close of sacrament meeting on Sunday.

It comes from verse 5, where Jacob tells his people, "I know that ye know that in the body he shall show himself unto those at Jerusalem, from whence we came." This is a common rhetorical device, akin to the phrase "in fact," which is often used to introduce an opinion rather than a fact. It consists of telling someone they know something they might not actually know, or might not realize they know. It's effective because it shows a high level of respect for your audience, a consideration of how they are on the same plane as you, while simultaneously convincing them unknowingly that your opinion is really a universal fact.

What Jacob accomplishes in this line is to bear his testimony and awaken his listeners to their own testimony. By joining the speaker and the audience, Jacob is able to emphasize the common humanity, the joint inheritance as fallen mankind, and their shared need for the atonement he will go on to explicate.

In this I find a model for what we do as we teach the gospel, whether in a missionary setting, in a church class, or in our own homes. We know the truth of the gospel, and something of that truth dwells in each person's heart. As we remind others of what they know--but may not know they know--we join with them, communing soul to soul.

In so doing, we invite the spirit to join in our testimony. We know something to be true, and by asserting that, we help others recognize (a word that itself comes from Latin roots meaning "to know again") truth and the spiritual manifestation of truth.

1 comment:

dastew said...

You're much more positive than I. I read it as a bit of passive aggressive guilt. Kind of like my primary teachers saying, "I know you know how to share". Heck yeah lady I do but it doesn't mean I will.

In fact given that he's addressing his wayward brethren I wouldn't be surprised if that's his goal. I'm not denying this is a valid pedagogical device, I just appreciate Moroni's more tactful invitation in chapter 10.

Actually comparing Moroni's invitation in chapter 10 to Jacob's invitation here in 2 Nephi 9 might be fruitful in seeing their differences in personality.

I would argue that Jacob had, as a by product of his upbringing, a deep seated respect for authority. This defines why he'd re-enforce behavior by reminding his audience of what they've already been taught by their leaders.

Moroni on the other hand has no delusions about the corrupting influence of authority. This is why he doesn't use the passive aggressive guilt of Jacob but simply states what he knows. In essence Moroni says, read, pray, and know, but if you don't I'll meet you at the judgement bar anyways so be ready for a shocker.