Thursday, July 2, 2009

To Do Lists

Over the last few years I have experimented with a number of different to-do list tools. I've used index card lists, Outlook's tasks feature, Freemind, My Life Organized, Google Calendar, Remember the Milk, Now Do This, and several combinations of these. And I'm still working on a system that I can easily transfer among the half-dozen computers I use (fours of which I use on a daily basis).

Earlier this week I read this piece from Slate, in which the author reviews a (seemingly arbitrary) handful of web-based to-do list tools. I find these reviews to be useful, but that utility is limited by the fact that the author's criteria for choosing a tool are different than my own.

So, in the spirit of the article, here's a request for some feedback. What kinds of tools do you use, and what are their advantages and limitations? And, given the following parameters, what suggestions do you have for me?

I need/want a system that has the following characteristics:
  1. Web based, preferably with an offline/export feature
  2. Visual (either nesting hierarchies, mind mapping, or color-coding)
  3. Expandable
  4. Flexible (I want to be able to move tasks from one category to another easily, or to take a sub-task and promote it)
  5. Deadline/calendaring
  6. Free (I don't want to pay for a tool that I fear will become obsolete in a year)
What do you think?

4 comments:

Bill said...

I haven't tried any of the following, but Life Hacker has a huge list of possible solutions...some of which I think you've already tried, but they might show other ways of using them.

http://lifehacker.com/tag/to-do-list/

Good luck.

Roy said...

LifeHacker's pretty swell. What do you use?

Bill said...

At work I use paper for daily to-do items. Items with a longer deadline go into Outlook's Tasks. For family/home/personal life I don't have too many to-do items that require me to track. But I do use Google Calendar for calendar items and appointments.

pinky said...

I am feeling rather listless...